The Hotel Frederick is a significant local and state historical landmark, and is the best example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the region. It was built in 1905 by Charles A. Sombart, a local miller and banker.
The Hotel Frederick is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. This gorgeous hotel was constructed by W.J. Cochran and Sons Construction Company for a cost of $40,000.
After the completion of the Highway 40 Boonville Road Bridge, an additional 36 rooms were added in 1932. From its construction until 1964 the Hotel Frederick was leased by the Million family, with the Sombart family retaining ownership. In 1964 the Sombarts sold the hotel to the first of a succession of owners. For a while the Frederick operated as a weekend restaurant and Greyhound bus depot, and later served as the Boonville Retirement Center. The retirement center closed in 1994 and the building sat dormant until 2004, when it was purchased by the Haw family, undergoing a $4M restoration, bringing it back once again to its former splendor.
The public areas of the Hotel Frederick have been furnished and decorated primarily with 19th century antiques, with an emphasis on regional pieces. The photos there are from the New Deal's Historic American Building Survey which, in central Missouri, was led by the famous cultural historian Charles Van Ravensway. The map collection is from the collection of the Hotel Frederick. These wonderful maps, which date to the 1890s, trace the early history of Missouri. Glass etchings in many of the guestroom bathrooms are by Kansas City artist Peregrine Honig, and add an unexpected, gorgeous element to the rooms.