The Hotel Frederick is a noted local and state historical landmark.
It exists today as a tribute to prosperity of yesteryear and today. It was built in 1905 by Charles A. Sombart, a local miller and banker. It was named after his son, Frederick Sombart. This stately hotel was constructed by W.J. Cochran and Sons Construction Company for a cost of $40,000.
It is the best example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the region and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
After completion of the Highway 40 Boonville Road Bridge, an additional 39 rooms were added in 1932. From its construction until 1964, the Frederick was leased by the Million family, while the Sombart family retained ownership.
In 1973, the Sombart family sold the hotel to the first of a succession of owners. For a while, the Frederick operated as a weekend restaurant and Greyhound bus depot. Later it served as the Boonville Retirement Center. The retirement center closed in 1994 leaving the building dormant and in growing disrepair. In 2004, Bill and Maggie Haw bought the Hotel Frederick, at which time they began an extensive $4 million restoration of the building.